You can't see it in this picture, I'll try and get a better shot, but the fabric has a gold thread used in the weft, it gives a nice shimery surface, perfect for water. In fact it's the same kind of fabric used for Loving Couple, phase 6 (see the gallery). In the forground are iris' and omodaka (not sure what the English name is), the long curved lines travelling behind and above the fowers will eventually form the stream.
As with all Japanese embroidery the foreground is worked first. In the boxchart it says to use 8 strands of padding cotton, I've used two layers of padding as I wanted to make sure the petal stood out, petals slightly behind this one will have only one layer, and the next layer back will have no padding at all. I've also made the second layer of padding end at slightly different places to try and give movement to the petal.
Completed petal stitched with realistic effect. The first layers of stitching are worked with twisted thread and the lighter blue section with flat thread. I had some problems with the flat thread getting the shaping of the petal right so this is about my third try. I got one of the gardening books out and looked at some pictures to get a sense of what I was trying to achieve and then started stitching from the top (in the picture) of the petal and worked towards myself which seemed to work ok.
As with all the pieces I've stitched so far it is designed and distributed by JEC who hold the copyright.