Saturday, 16 February 2008

Bamboo Circle Cords

Well after planning to put this piece aside to start work on Treasure Ship I decided that, since it's such an important piece to me, it was a good idea to leave the framing up (onto the embroidery frame) until the weekend so I could spend a good amount of time getting it right and not rush to get in done in an evening after a day at work.
Since it's not possible for me to go more than a day without stitching, I've spent the last few evenings doing some work on the cords for bamboo circle.


I'm not entirely happy with the tight curves on the cord, so I might go back and re-work them. But I'll put it aside for a while as I concentrate on Treasure Ship and then go back and look at it with fresh eyes. We have a class coming up so I'll take it with me and ask for my tutor's opinion.

Another step closer to phase 9 (how scary is that), it's starting to become very real. Still a little overwhelming to realize how far I've come already on this journey, and how far there is to go. But I have enjoyed every minute of it, have made some good friends, and I feel confident that this journey will take me to many more interesting places.

I've not put down in this blog yet how I came to start on this journey, so perhaps this would be a good time. In 1990/01 I went on an introductory course on Japanese embroidery. Two of my fellow students, Mary-Dick Digges and Dolly Fehd from America, were students of the late Master Saito and the current Master Tamura. One of them, I don't remember which, had brought with them their phase 7 piece, Pansies, the image of those pansies, their colour and the shine of the silk has haunted me for years. Four years ago after various changes at home and work I finally had the time to take some classes and the rest, as they say, is history. Strangely I've never wanted to stitch the pansy design (I did Camellias for my phase 7). The image of those pansies no longer haunts me as it once did, but I can still see them in my minds eye.

I never got the chance to study with Mary-Dick who became, along with the Japanese tutors, one of the first tutors from JEC to teach in England as very sadly she passed away before I started taking my classes. However it is nice to know there is some continuity in all this, or maybe the fates were taking a hand!, as two of my tutors were students in those first classes in the UK.

Margaret, Pat, Jenny you all deserve a huge thank you for all your help and support over the last four years. You have been a constant source of support and inspiration, always encouraging your students to expand their knowledge and skills and always, always happy to share your knowledge and passion for Japanese embroidery.

Thanks must also go to the late Master Saito whose dream it was to expand Japanese embroidery beyond Japans borders, to Master Tamura his family and all the staff at JEC in Atlanta, and to Master Saito his family and all the staff at Kurenai-kai in Japan.

Last, but by no means least, thanks to my fellow students who are always supportive of each other, and who make our stitching weeks so enjoyable.

2 comments:

coral-seas said...

This is lovely, Jane. I can't wait to see it in Bo'mo. I thought the cords looked very good. Do you think the macro photography is making us too critical of our own work? I seem to either view my work through my Eshenbach or in a marco photo. I am going to take a step back and look with my eyes before I start stitching today.

CA

Jane said...

Yes I do think that the macro photography affects how we look at our work. We see faults that we wouldn't normally see, or even see faults that aren't actually faults. But after all as Kazumi said, it's not that we are expected to be perfect stichers, but we are expected to get better with each phase.
So that's what I'm aiming for.
Take it easy with your hand today.
jane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...