Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Phase 9 & Japan Day 2008

Well the first steps on phase 9 have been taken. I've put in some foundation in advance of my next class which will save me at least two days stitching it all seems a little less intimidating now and I'm looking forward to getting on with the more complicated sections.


Broom foundation, this will eventually be overstitched with gold thread. The tissue paper has been tacked over the foundation to protect it while working other sections.

One of my favourite effects is when metallic threads are combined with silk which can be done with either flat or twisted silk. The photo below is from my phase 2 piece, Fan Papers, where the gold thread is combined with flat orange silk and then over stitched with a sayagata pattern in gold.
This is a section of phase 3, Venerable Friends, where the gold thread is combined with a twisted gold silk, a much more subtle effect.
I've not used this effect since phase 3 and have enjoyed working this section. In Treasure Ship the gold thread is combined with a twisted thread of black silk. It doesn't show up very well in the photo but it is a lovely effect.


If you can make it to Liverpool on 19th July the Japan Society North West is holding their Japan Day 2008 where we will be exhibiting, I'll have Treasure Ship with me so come along and see how I'm doing. I'll post more about Japan Day as I get the information or visit their website for more information.

4 comments:

coral-seas said...

Ah, so pleased that you have made your first stitches and crossed the physiological barrier that you seemed to be building. Counting the days to Bo'mo now, looking forward to seeing you and all the promised goodies there.

CA

Elisabeth Braun said...

All looking very impressive as always!=)

Anonymous said...

I have never seen anything this beautiful. I looked at all your posts and your work is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to find a place to learn this - although I am sure that I could never achieve your expertise! Congratulations!

Oh, I do not have a blog anymore so I will appear as "anonymous".
All the best to you.
Miriam K Lange

Jane said...

Miriam, sorry for the delay in responding to your comment I've just got back from my latest week long class so have only just seen your comment, thank you very much for your kind remarks. It's always nice to know that people like what I'm stitching and traditional Japanese embroidery in general.
As for finding somewhere to learn, I'm sure you'll find your way to 'nuido' if you want it enough, and as for expertise, well time, effort, and a lot of perseverance is all it takes! Bit like life.

If you're in the UK you'll find details of the classes I go to on Japanese Embroidery UK, on the JEC site there is a page which gives you a full list of JEC acredited tutors both in the UK and abroad.
If you'd like a chat about classes you can email me through my profile.

jane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...