Thursday, 21 August 2008

Front and back, back and front

As regular readers will know I finally finished stitching the Hoitsu Scroll Iris Stream, so on Wednesday evening I spent a couple of hours going through the finishing process. This is quite different to what is done with other forms of embroidery, but is a very important part of the process. Finishing the piece correctly helps to keep the stitches tight which in turn helps the silk keep its shine. This is not a difficult process but it is a bit fiddly and it is important to get it right and to be able to go through the whole process without any interruptions. Even after completing 10 or more pieces the finishing process still makes me nervous as I am aware that at this point it is possible to ruin many hours of work. I was going to go into more details of the finishing process, but it is difficult to explain and probably boring to read so am just posting a photo of the back of Iris Stream once the finishing process has been done.
The Back
And, of course, a picture of the front

7 comments:

coral-seas said...

Definitely the scariest part of the whole process. The other evening I was watching the video clips you mentioned. I noticed that he was quite liberal with the wheat paste on the back and was agast at the speed with which he applied it. If I did that I'm sure I would get paste all over my fabric.

CA

Elmsley Rose said...

I know very little about Japanese Embroidery (I met you through Coral Seas) - but wow, what a back!!!

backstitch said...

I know next to nothing about Japanese embroidery so anything you post about I just eat up. It's great seeing the back of your work though I'm not surprised it looks so good.

Pam said...

It's really lovely -- Congratualtions on the finish.

Carol Anne..... I am sure that video was speeded up..........

~Pam

Christine said...

Coral-Seas commented: "The other evening I was watching the video clips you mentioned." I missed these clips, but would love to see them. Can you tell me where they are? Finishing is a tense time for me, I keep the textbook next to me and work methodically.

Christine
Oakton, VA (near Washington, DC, USA)

Jane said...

Hi Christine,

I'll email the link over so you don't have to search through the discussion in the JE group.

jane

Susie said...

I'm in awe of your work jane, wonderfully finished as usual, thankyou for sharing.
Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...