Sunday, 10 August 2008

Shippo, shippo, and more shippo.

Treasure ship is growing slowly but surely and I have had a nice weekend working on the shippo pattern on the sail. Actually I should say I have had a weekend re-working shippo!! I have done some work on this section before, but on going back to it I decided that the red and white lines were a bit skimpy so took them all out to redo them. There are five distinct phases to this section, all the blue shapes are stitched in a twisted thread, then the white outline in flat silk, then the red outline in flat silk, yellow silk padding for the centre flowers, and last the centre flowers in #1 real gold. The white and red stitches are both worked in the same way, a right to left diagonal and in a clockwise direction.

I got all the white outlines done and most of the red before I decided I needed a change, so I went back to the centre flowers and put in padding I had not done the first time round.

I have worked a few of the centre flowers with #1 gold, but it has been difficult to get a good picture so here is a close up of one of the flowers. This picture makes it look quite big but the shippo are only about an inch across, so the gold flowers are really quite tiny.

I have enjoyed stitching the shippo, but I thought I needed a break as there is another 1/3rd or so to be completed, so I decided to break it up a bit and have a go at another section of goldwork.

The broom is first worked with a flat gold silk and then it is overstitched with #4 gold which form the twiggy branches of the broom. The yellow lines you can see on the flat silk are guide lines for the gold thread, only the main branches are marked, all the little twiggy offshoots are stitched randomly.

I have tried to get an overview of the broom but the flash bounced of the silk a bit, will have to have another go in natural light. I think this gives a pretty good idea of how the broom will look once all the twiggy sections are completed.

If anyone out there is counting, we are up to 158 hours!!

3 comments:

coral-seas said...

You are stitching this beautifully, Jane. I don't think that I could cope with all those tiny stitches. The gold floweres in the centre of the shippo really set off the red, white and blue.

What percentage do you think you have completed now?

CA

Jane said...

Hi there, it is difficult to know about percentages. Lots of this is layered, so I work the same motif a number of times. The shippo are a good example of this, so are the pines which go padding, silk, padding, silk (about 6 times), then the viens are put in then the gold branch. I would say maybe half way ....!! Perhaps a bit more.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janey it beatiful and I can't wait to see it mind its a scary thought that I will stitch it one day, I still have to get passed the ducks. Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...