Tuesday, 17 June 2008
The leaf veins are stitched with a couched thread. I am still debating whether to put veins on the smaller leaves, they are not very big, perhaps I will just put a centre vein in.
Tuesday, 10 June 2008
Anyway, first the peony, I had decided that I would stitch the two peonies in two different colour ways, one a solid shade and one variegated. I looked at a lot of photos of peonies to get an idea of colour but it is still difficult for me to tell how the colour of the silk will be affected when stitching onto a black background. I asked my tutor to advise on colours and after an exchange of emails she sent me the colours I was missing and I started stitching.
I put a little padding on some of the front petals on both blooms and used a random realistic technique over the top. This technique is one we learn in phase 7, check out our gallery of Japanese embroidery (www.nuido.org.uk/) for photos of the phase pieces.
Stamens have been stitched in #1 shell gold, this is a gold thread which incorporates some other colours (pinks, blues, oranges). I thought it would add a bit more shine, unfortunately it does not show up well in this photo. The pollen is a knot of very light yellow.
Second peony, worked in the same way as the first one, but in one fabulous shade of pink, a very bright fuchsia, or more accurately peony, pink.
Progress so far - the colours are a bit washed out, they are much brighter in real life :-o It is difficult to get a good colour contrast with the black background - does anyone out there have any tips for getting a good colour contrast with a black background?
Quick photos of the three handbags I've made from vintage obi - guess which one is my favourite?
Tuesday, 3 June 2008
But what to do with the left over design?? Well make it into an embroidery of course! Because the design is just an outline it acts just like a transfer - just have to decide on colours and stitch up to the lines.
This is the left over piece from the tan I used to make the jacket above. So I decided to have a go at stitching it to ease back into stitching. Onto the frame it went, I chose some colours and started to stitch. The stitching is not as good as it could be, but I am very pleased as it is over four weeks since I picked up a needle.
Because it is on black fabric I chose three shades of a bright green for the leaves. They will all be stitched with flat silk, using different angles for each, that way the light will catch each one differently and make it look more interesting.
For the chrysanthemums the I chose the brightest orange I could find and a pale mauve for a contrast, both with bright yellow centres.
A nice way to ease back into the stitching, I am going to enjoy this piece and once it is completed (which won't take long, it is not as big as it looks) I will be ready to go back to treasure ship.
Check out details of Japan Day 2008 - Liverpool 19th July - on the other blog