Monday, 14 December 2009
Sunday, 6 December 2009
Friday, 4 December 2009
Saturday, 7 November 2009
Friday, 30 October 2009
Thursday, 29 October 2009
Monday, 26 October 2009
Spent four days last week in the company of some stitching friends old and new and had a great time. Didn't get much time to stitch myself but I did make some progress on the JE challenge.
My original plan had been to embroider the foundation in flat silk, and when I decided to change the foundation to black I thought I would include a gold thread to add a bit more texture. I've used this technique before in one of my early phases (see photo below) and it gives a lovely finish.
I tried this with the black thread but I think the lines of gold are two regular and it doesn't work the same. Might be something to do with the colour combination of course, the gold doesn't stand out quite as much on the orange. I'm still in two minds about this, I really want the sheen of the flat silk but I don't want the gold to stand out quite so much. I might increase the ratio of silk to gold to see if that makes a difference, otherwise I'll have to go with a twisted foundation.
I also couched down the braid I've made along the edges of the inro, this will be covered with the embroidered foundation and then I'll add some couched threads to add to the shape of the whole piece. Back soon(ish) with an update.