Sunday, 8 March 2009

Braided chrysanthemum - petal curls

Well it's been a while since I posted any progress, which has been quite slow I have to admit, but here we are back again with an update on Braided Chrysanthemum. This is where it was last time I posted. As you can see some of the petals curve to the right and some to the left. Getting a nice angle on the diagonal stitches as they go round the tight curve at the end of the petal is much easier on those which curve to the left. The curve on the others was proving much more difficult to get a nice turn at the end. The three small petals (blue, red, and orange) at the bottom left of the picture have this right hand turn and you can see they seem much flatter. Last week I attended one of my twice yearly JE classes, so while there I spoke to my tutor about improving this curve and she suggested a very simple solution of using more grandchild stitches to make the curve tighter. I tried this and you can see the difference below.
This works much better, don't know why I didn't do this the first time, it gives a much more 3D effect to the petal ends.
Now I've got the hang of this I think the rest will go fairly fast (treasure ship permitting).
My reason for starting this blog was to track my journey along the path of Nuido so I deliberately have not included many details about the rest of my life. However you may remember in this post a picture of my 'lovely assistant'. Sadly a couple of weeks ago it was discovered that she had a huge tumour so I had to make the decision to have her put to sleep. Bonnington was the last surviving member of my little cat family. One sunny August day 17 years ago Kitcat (left) arrived uninvited and decided to stay, a couple of weeks later she delivered Oats (centre) and Bonnington (right). This photo is in their memory.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Braun said...

Hi Jane! NIce to have you 'back'. You're right that your diagonal stitching is coming along beautifully. It's quite challenging, I know, from other freestyle work that I've done.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your fur baby. Hope you can find another lost soul to care for and love when you feel ready for him/her, but it takes time to grieve the loss of the last one(s).

Elmsley Rose said...

I'm so sorry. I lost one of my darlings last year, and it still hurts sometimes.

Yay on the curves. Medusa on a party day?

Mary Corbet said...

Beautiful work! Really beautiful!

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty!

coral-seas said...

Hi Jane. I am pleased that you decided to join us in Bournemouth last week, it would not be the same without you. I know that losing Bonnington has left a big hole in your heart and your life. Kitkat knew what she was doing when she chose you.

Lots of love to you, CA

Marie Alton said...

Hi Jane ... my condolences at losing your feline friend...been there...many times and so know the pain. My little Muffie cat is 10 today ... and am feeling so blessed that she brings me joy every day ... Kota is still quite a baby yet and will be 2 March 25th
There's always another sweet creature to love...hope you find another. Hugs ... Marie

Marie H said...

I enjoy following your progress Jane. Can't wait for the update on Treasure Ship.
Sorry your cat is gone, they are such great company as they agree with everything we say!!
Marie H

Elizabeth Braun said...

Hi Jane! How are you?

Just been exploing your Etsy page. You're definitely under-charging for your embroidery! You're giving youself less than £2 an hour for highly skilled work! Minimum wage is £5.57 and most of us wouldn't get out of bed for that! Give yourself a fair price!=)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...