Thursday, 17 September 2009

Japanese Embroidery, slow cloth - the hands are the exit of the spirit

A couple of months ago, well three!, I was asked to do an interview for the Feeling Stitchy group, what with one thing and another I've only just got round to sending the information off (sorry Carina).
One of the questions they posed was on how I perceived my work. I wondered how to answer this question but then remembered a post by Elaine over on Red Thread Studio where I first came across the term slow cloth.
There have been many posts and discussions on a number of blogs on the term 'slow cloth' since then, and possibly before, but re-visiting the post reminded me of how it echos both my thoughts and feelings on Japanese embroidery and the phrase 'The hands are the exit of the spirit' coined by the late Master Saito, so I thought it worth sharing. Check out the full post at the above link.

'Slow Cloth has the possibility of joy in the process. In other words, the journey matters as much as the destination.'

'Slow Cloth offers the quality of meditation or contemplation in the process.'

'Slow Cloth involves skill and has the possibility of mastery.'

'Slow Cloth honors its teachers and lineage even in its most contemporary expressions.'

'It's in the eye of the beholder, yes, but it's in our nature to reach for beauty and create it where we can.'

'Slow Cloth is expressive of individuals and/or cultures. The human creative force is reflected and evident in the work.'

Copyright of all designs here belongs to JEC

5 comments:

Plays with Needles said...

Beautifully written and shared from the heart, Jane. I have saved this in my reader so I can remind myself of this when the going gets tough...

I love the pics you included with the post as well. They sing to the soul...

Jane said...

Thank you Susan, Elaine deserves much (well most) of the credit as it was her words that inspired this post.

jane

http://ladynyo.wordpress.com said...

Oh! I have never come across this site, and I wish I had before!

I embroider but my embroidery is something I just stumbled upon...about four years ago. Free hand and just scenes of flowers, tendrils and birds, insects.

But yours are amazing. Indeed, they sing to the soul....

Jane also, and also known as Lady Nyo.

Jane said...

Thank you Jane, Japanese embroidery does indeed speak to the soul. Take a visit over to my colleage on Threads across the web (link at the bottom of the page) to get more food for the soul.
jane

shiborigirl said...

seems your works embodies slow cloth.
thanks for your comment on the discussion board over at slow cloth.
there should be another word- beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...