Monday, 14 September 2009

Kusudama, the journey struggles on

Well a busy couple of weeks have gone by, work and an exhibition at the GMEX have taken up what would have otherwise been stitching time. I have completed one of the main camellias, but don't have a picture to share - I am not happy with the twist of the thread, it isn't consistent enough to be right, this is probably something to do with the fact that I started it during my phase 10 class, but then there was a gap before I could go back to complete it. I just couldn't get the twist to match the one I'd done in class. In hindsight it might have been better to take it all out and start again, but I wanted to keep the twist that I'd made under the guidance of Kazumi for reference. Anyway it has been in and out too many times so now to do it again, so I am going to have to live with it. I think once the short stitch holding is in it won't be as obvious, but for the moment I don't want to share!! On the other hand, the golden chrysanthemum is completed and looks fabulous if I do say so myself. It has been difficult to take a good photo with the gold thread on gold fabric, so much bounce from the various light sources, I'll post another one of the whole thing when I get a good pic. The flower was first padded with cotton thread, then a layer of orange silk, and completed with #1 gold. Last weekend Sue, Carol-Anne, Denise and I had an exhibition of Japanese embroidery at the Stitch and creative crafts show at the GMEX. It was very successful and we had lots of visitors. This time we were also joined by Rachel and Jennifer, two of our newer local students, who came along to help demonstrate and talk to our visitors. Thank you to them all and to our visitors who were, as always, lovely. We had lots of interest in our courses and are hoping to have a full class in October. If you'd like details, let me know and I can email information over.
Carol-Anne demonstrating for some of our visitors
PS - quick update early Thursday morning - the camellia came out! More soon.

2 comments:

coral-seas said...

You are fully justified saying that the gold crysanthemum is fabulous. Having seen it for real, I can confirm that it looks 100 times better that this photo suggests, it is truely beautiful.

I really enjoyed GMEX, can't believe that was over a week ago. Work is take up FAR to much of my valuble stitching time :-(

Susie said...

That crysanthemum looks wonderful, I wish I could have seen it for real at the show. Oh for more time and space to indulge! I know I can't manage any classes this year but do let me know when they are in the future......maybe one day!
Sue

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...