Saturday, 7 November 2009

The story continues ...

... so I've got a bit further on the JE challenge piece. I completed the foundation and am pleased with how it has turned out. To make the top a bit different I embroidered it at a different angle to the side.Using flat silk I embroidered the inside of the inro. This red works really well, and is a great contrast to the black outside. In went the temporary holding.
And then over the top I used a stitch transfer to outline the plum blossoms and fan.
Embroidering the plum blossoms has proved a bit more of a challenge, but this is a challenge piece after all. Originally I wanted to work the plum blossoms in white silk, then I changed my mind and decided I would use gold.
As these plums are only very small, less than 1cm across, I decided I would embroider them using a simple style, like this one on a haori jacket from Ichiroya (click on the picture to see the whole jacket).
After some exprimentation I finally settled on using twisted gold for the plums.
I am outlining them in #3 gold to give them a little more definition. It's hard work embroidering motifs which are this small, so decided to have a break until tomorrow. No work this weekend, so might be able to get the plums completed tomorrow, we'll see.
While I was looking for a nice picture of an embroidered plum on Ichiroya not only did I find the lovely jacket above, but I found the one below which is decorated with some very nice hand embroidery. Both are silk haori jackets and both a bargain at only $18. Follow the links to Ichiroya for more information.
Kimono and haori often have very beautiful linings, this one has a lovely shell box design on the lining.

3 comments:

Susie said...

I am in awe of your patience and skill, so detailed, this is going to be wonderful when its finished.....watching and waiting!!
Thanks for sharing.
Sue

Lutine said...

Wonderfull !!!

dellgirl said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love oriental...EVERYTHING. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...