Saturday, 18 April 2009

Fabulous Cat

You may remember a few weeks ago that I lost the last member of my little cat family. I've found another one, well in spirit anyway, Cocoa the teddy stealing cat! And her owner, Liadain, does some fine stitching too. Check out here, here, and here.

Thursday, 9 April 2009

Lost treasures - re-discovered

Well it's been a while since I've worked on treasure ship, life and treasure ship itself got in the way. This is a big piece with lots of repetition and lots of layers so it takes a great deal of time just to work one small motif. It seemed to stick at one point and none of the work seemed to make it look any different. In preparation for my phase 10 class later this year I had to produce a list of all the pieces I've done and also give a date for the completion of this one. So now I have to buckle down and get it done. So, after a self imposed break I finally sat down at the frame last weekend and started to stitch. I thought the best way to progress with this is just to concentrate on one section at a time and not look at the thing as a whole, I'm not even going to un-cover the whole thing to take photos. I decided to work on the shippo on the sail and the treasures which looked like this when I started.

I've now completed all the blue, red, and white shippo (well apart form a couple because I've run out of red silk, opps!). Next job - the treasures. The magic mallet needed a gold edging. I decided to use gold couching thread for this and it gives a very different effect to the gold. I've decided I quite like this, it's a much more subtle effect than red couching thread.

The magic cloak needed it's top edge finishing in #3 gold. You can just see the gold under the tracing paper. It then needed some decoration around the top. The scalloped edge was worked using one strand of #3 gold. The little angular design was stitched using twisted gold.

So here we are with some re-discovered treasures. The cloak still needs its fastenings and the hat needs a top and ties, but I need to finish the centres of the shippo design before I do those. Something for the Easter Weekend perhaps?

If anyone is counting we're up to 244 hours.

Happy stitching.

Thursday, 2 April 2009

Another piece completed and one to be scrapped

Had another couple of hours stitching on the small plum blossoms design and managed to finish it off. A number of plum trees I saw when I was in Japan had two colour blossoms on the same tree so I did the same here.
Each of the blossoms is about an inch across so the whole thing is only about 8 inches across. I enjoyed stitching this piece and will probably do it again.
I promised a photo of the Golden Butterfly yesterday. This is what I've done so far.
I have no formal design training and don't draw very well, so a lot of the planning of designs and colour schemes goes on in my head. This is probably a very inefficient way of going about things and I think I will have to find some night classes to learn some new skills. Sometimes I get a very strong image in my head and the design just flows, this one however isn't. I can see what I want but just can't translate it onto the silk. So for the moment this design is being scrapped.

Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Plum blossoms

A very quick post tonight. I've been working on two small designs one of plum blossoms and one of a butterfly. Can't get a good picture on the butterfly under the light at the moment so I'll post that one later.
The design is very simple so I thought simple techniques would be suitable. The blossoms are quite large and the fabric is obi lining silk which will stand a fair amount of padding. The main petals were padded with two layers of six strands of padding cotton, next layer back one layer and the ones further back none at all.
The centre buds and the single ones were padded with one or two layers of four strands of padding cotton, depending on their size. The calyx is stitched with twisted thread in weft foundation layer.
The branches are flat silk in diagonal layer. On the thick part of the trunk I put in random short stitch holding to add a bit of texture. Plum blossoms and buds also in flat silk. Just have pollen on the light pink blossoms to complete then it's done.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...