Sunday, 10 January 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Well one advantage of the snow is that my second job has been closed in the evenings all this week so I have had an extended break and lots of extra stitching time. Good for me, not so good for all the other people who had to struggle into work I guess.
So, here we are, snowing again, and time for an update. I've made lots of progress on the foreground flower ball which is almost complete, just some stamens and one or two finishing off bits to do. A photo later (no sneaking down to the bottom of the post to check it out ;-)) but first ...
... woven effect. Woven effect can be worked with either a twisted or flat foundation, this flat variation in a cherry blossom shape is on the background ball, the twisted version is on the foreground ball. The last time I did this technique in flat silk was on phase 3 and I remembered it being very difficult. Of course I've learned a lot since then and from doing this piece I think that one of the tricks to getting this right the control you have over the silk. Not so good on phase 3, better now! The first three layers of silk and gold are laid down.
The final task is to hold down the 3rd layer giving the woven effect.
This silver bamboo leaf worked with a to and fro technique is giving me some trouble. I've managed one half of the main leaf but can not get the other half right. It has been in and out about 3 times, so am leaving it along for a while.
The gold plum blossom from my last post has come along and now it is complete I am very happy with it.
I've made a start on a number of the bell flowers from the background ball. First ... this one is outlined in silver.
The inside of the petals is filled in with a maize pattern. The small rear petals will also be filled with a maize pattern.
Second ... worked in long legged knots. This has been taken out since I took the photo. The second layer of knots makes it too bulky so I am going to make the twists from a finer thread and that should solve the problem.
Third ... this one is simply outlined in knots.
And now ... ta da daaaaa ...
I know I have said this before, but I love this colour scheme. I can not take the credit for putting this together, it was designed by Masa Tamura. I have never met Masa san, I hope to do so in the future, but I feel privileged to be able to share her skill and knowledge in some small way by working on this colour scheme she put together for me.
Domo arigato gozaimasu Masa san

11 comments:

Elmsley Rose said...

Wow!

Christa Evans said...

Jane,your Kusadama is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

It is a lot of fun to watch the pieces develop. I am amazed at your technical skill and fascinated by the layering of stitches to achieve the right effect. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jane, cold in Chilly Hollow but the two feet of snow we got 19 Dec. has mostly melted

coral-seas said...

Despite having an unusually heavey snowfall here, the office opened. Bah humbug says I, I was hoping for a stitching day or two :-(

Woven effect is one of my favourtie techniques. I loved it from the moment I saw you doing it on Phase III during my first JE class.

Your gold plum blossom looks amazing. I know that couching metallic threads is definitely not your favourite technique but you have done a beautiful job.

And wow wee! It is spectacular. I just can't wait to see it.

Susie said...

Just wonderful as usual, I like you having more sewing time, we get to see more of your terrific work.Thanks for sharing it with us.
Sue

Sue said...

Miss Miss Miss Its amazing :-) Love the colour choice

Lutine said...

It is very Wonderfull !

Plays with Needles said...

GLORIOUS!!!!!!!

And I agree with CA about the goldwork on your plum blossom! This piece is SPECTACULAR!!!

michelle said...

Your work is so beautiful. I would love to learn this! I will definately check back to watch you work.

Samanta said...

Oh my, that's just gorgeous! I'm very glad worksofhands listed your blog, I'm sure going to check it constantly from now on. Great job! You shouldn't call it a student's journey... :)

Jane said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I'm loving doing this piece after all the angst and worry leading up to it.
Samanta, I think I'll always consider myself a student as this artform can take a lifetime to learn. Maybe I'll change it once I start to teach to reflect the continuation of the journey.
jane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...