Tuesday, 26 January 2010

A little more progress

It's been one thing after another this week, and it's all too frustrating to go into, I'm just hoping that the week will start to improve. I'm sure it will as myself and some friends will be at Manchester Central exhibiting at the Stitching and Creative Crafts show. So a quick post with the latest updates. I have made quite a bit of progress with the background ball and also made a start on the cords. No pics of the cords yet, will save them for their own post. I've worked quite a few of the outlined motifs, but the main work recently has been the superimposed plum and maple shapes below. These are worked with a twisted foundation and then have little motifs embroidered on top. The black lines are temporary, they just hold the foundation in place while embroidering on the top.
The patterns of cherries and bamboo leaves are stitched using a tissue paper transfer. The foreground motif on each is stitched in silver or gold. I thought I would add a little bit of sparkle and use shell silver and shell gold. This is a fine gold or silver thread which contains random shades of other colours. The shading on the silver is very subtle, but I was a bit concerned that the colours on the gold would stand out too much, but decided to give it a go.
When embroidering traditional Japanese embroidery we work very close to the embroidery so it is sometimes difficult to get a good perspective on our work. We get so used to looking and judging the work from 6 inches or so away that we forget this isn't how it is ultimately going to be viewed, so it's important to remember to stand back occasionally and look at what we have done.
So I stood back and had a look and decided I quite liked the shell gold, so it will be staying in.

8 comments:

Feronia said...

That is so beautiful!

Susie said...

Looks pretty spectacular from where I'm sitting!
Hope the week does get better for you.
Sue xx

spinndiva said...

It is breathtaking!

Hello! I just recently "found" your blog and am enthralled by your work!
Wonderful!

Elmsley Rose said...

I just adore this piece, and what you are doing with it.

Particularily love the top gold shell leaf, from this post.

The piece is almost alive. I can feel it reaching out .....

Mary Corbet said...

Absolutely beautiful!

coral-seas said...

Hi Jane, it was lovely to see you this weekend and a real thrill to see your Kusadama. I thought that it would look even better in real life than in the photographs and I was not wrong! Your stitching is always beautiful but this is absolutely gorgeous.

Plays with Needles said...

OH Jane! Your superimposed sakura and leaves are stunning...and the colors just get more and more stunning! Can't wait to see what you choose for the cords!

Marie H said...

This is looking so beautiful, I love the colours. Are you keeping a record of your hours on this one?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...