Saturday, 15 May 2010

I love flat silk ...

... it is just so shiny. Having said that I'm going to start this post with some twisted thread. Yoyo san's hands are stitched with a fine 3-1 twist in a #7. They still needs some lines to give them more shape, but I'll do this later at the same time I do her features. Once I'd stitched her hands, I put in the cuffs of her kimono. Using the same 3-1 twist I put in the foundation for her face and using a 3-1 twist in #809 I put in her hair. Yoyo san has a hair comb and some hair pins, I knew I wanted these in gold and was planning to use #905 with gold thread twisted in, but it just didn't look right. I wanted more texture so decided to use twisted gold thread. I think this looks really nice, just what I was looking for. I put in some temporary holding on the face, this is closer together than normal, but her face is small, only 4cm across at the widest part, so I put in extra lines to make sure everything is held securely until the short stitch holding and features go in. Did I say I love flat silk? It's just glorious - nothing else has the sheen and richness of colour of flat silk. I love how it changes shade depending on how the light hits it or depending on the angle of the viewer. The look of flat silk is one of the first things which attracted me to JE and as I've travelled along my journey I've grown to love it even more. In planning the embroidery on Yoyo san, I knew I wanted to use flat silk for the kimono, but what I didn't want was to break it up with lots of short stitch holding. The rule for JE is that every stitch over 1cm in length is held with lines of short stitch holding. The reason is that originally JE would be used to decorate kimono and if long stitches were left loose they will sag when the silk is made up into a garment. But putting in lines of short stitch holding breaks up the flat silk and I don't want this. Now this is my design so I can break the rules a bit if I want, and this isn't going to be on a kimono it's going to be stretched onto foam core to be made up into a picture, so the silk is never going to be left with no tension on it and this will stop the long stitches from sagging. But even so I find it quite difficult to break the rules so I have to find a happy medium. As with the sleeve above, I'm making up lots of 1-1 tight twist and am couching them down to form all the lines and folds in the kimono. Once they have all gone in I will have to judge where to put the short stitch holding.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Wow she looks amazing I love the hands,the colours are amazing. What are you going to stitch next?? Happy stitching Sue XX

Jackie said...

It looks amazing Jane it is so wonderful to see her taking shape. Well done

coral-seas said...

Yes, I love flat silk too.

The hands are so dainty and I think the twisted gold for the hair comb is just right. Love the colour scheme, in fact, I'm loving it all.

Rachel said...

This is already looking glorious!
And yes, the gold for the hair comb sets off the rest beautifully.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...