Sunday, 29 August 2010

White blossoms

I've not done much stitching over the last few weeks, but I have got some time in. I've been working on some of my own new designs but they are still at the drawing stage so until they get to the point of being transfered onto silk and starting the embroidery I'm working on White Blossoms from JEC.

This is embroidered on black shusu and uses only black, white, and a bit of gold. I've had this piece for a while and it includes some variations on techniques which I've been looking forward to learning. The large chrysanthemum above looks a bit 'gappy', I'm hoping this is just because the fabric is black and it's showing through more than normal. The spacing was fine before I put the knots on the top. I've done another chrysanthemum on another section of the piece and have put the foundation a touch closer together. We'll see what it looks like once the knots have gone in. If it looks better I'll take this first one out and re-do it. One of the techniques I've been enjoying is this two tone katayori. I love the stripey effect it makes. A slightly thicker black and white katayori is used to outline the large chrysanthemum petals. I wound both of the katayori onto koma to help to keep the tension on the thread. This has made it much easier to work with, particularly in working the turn at the top of the petal.

I've done a bit more on this since these photos were taken and it's starting to come together very nicely. I was looking at my photos from my Japan trip this weekend and came across this photo of a decoration on a huge door at the Meiji shrine in Tokyo. Look familiar?

3 comments:

Lutine said...

it is wonderful !

Rachel said...

This looks lovely - making good progress!

coral-seas said...

I've always admired this design, Jane, and have been intreged by some of the effects. I will enjoy learning a little about how they were achieved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...