Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Christmas Chrysanthemums

Chrysanthemums may not be a traditional Christmas flower but this design was imagined, drawn up and transferred onto the silk over Christmas, so Christmas Chrysanthemums it has become.  It may get another name over time ... who knows.

The fabric for this is a lovely deep orange silk shusu, it came from an obi I bought from Ichiroya.  While the surface doesn't have quite as much as a satin finish as some shusu it still has a lovely sheen.  I've made reasonable progress so far, in between going back to work and putting up new wardrobes (with help from my friend and fellow JE stitcher Colleen-thank you Colleen).
The design was transferred using chaco paper which worked very well on the smooth surface of the shusu.  I'm using a fair bit of padding under the petals to give more of a 3D effect.  The smaller flowers have 2 or 3 layers of self padding and are embroidered with 2F.  
The larger flowers have 2 layers of padding cotton (4 strands).  
The leaves are horizontal foundation and the veins will be a line of held thread, not sure what colour yet - I may use #3 silver.  Even though the inspiration for this piece was a stunning kimono colour scheme from one of my new books I was a bit concerned if it would have the same effect on my piece.  Well I need not have worried, the colours work beautifully, I think the finished piece will be very effective and eye catching.  
 
The colour below is a bit washed out because of the flash, but it does show the progress.  Should we get a nice bright winter day here in the North West I'll get a picture outside to show the colour better.
 

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It is coming along beautifully, but alas, judging by today, "a nice bright day" is going to be a long time coming!

coral-seas said...

Beautifully stitched, Jane. I really like the colour scheme.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...